Connect with us


International Experience Canada working holidays visa

What is International Experience Canada (IEC)

International Experience Canada (IEC) is a program designed to give young people the opportunity to work in Canada for temporary periods, e.g. with a working holiday visa from Canada. Citizens of countries with a bilateral youth mobility agreement with Canada between the ages of 18 and 35 may be eligible for IEC work permits.
Canada has agreements with more than 30 countries and territories (including the UK, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Australia, New Zealand, Denmark and the Netherlands) that allow you to easily obtain a work permit or visa under International Experience Canada (IEC).

The International Experience Canada (IEC) application process involves several steps. The “Online Application Process for International Experience Canada” table is an overview of the steps to follow to apply for IEC.

Application process (PDF, 2 MB)

International Experience Canada – Online application process described below
IEC suitability requirements
Take part:

your country of citizenship must have an agreement with Canada that allows you to apply for an IEC work permit, or
you may be able to use a recognized organization.
The eligibility requirements for some countries and categories have changed. Make sure you understand each category and are eligible before applying.

Depending on your place of origin, you can choose up to three travel and work experience plans for your visa:

1. Business holidays

Finance your vacation with a temporary job in Canada.

This category is for you if:

You don’t have a job offer yet
You want to work for more than one employer in Canada
You want to work in more than one place
He would like to earn some money to be able to travel.
The type of work permit you get on a working holiday is an open work permit.

An open work permit allows you to do most jobs in Canada. However, there are some jobs where you will need to undergo a medical examination first.

2. Young professionals
Gain Canadian work experience to better compete in a global economy.

This category is for you if:

You have a job offer in Canada that contributes to your professional development
You will work for the same employer in the same location during your stay in Canada
In this category the work must be:

not autonomous
The type of work permit you get in the Young Professionals category is an employer specific work permit.

Your employer must comply with all employment laws in the province or territory in which you plan to work, including meeting minimum wage requirements.

Work offered in Canada must be classified as Level 0, A or B of the National Occupational Classification Code (NOC) to be considered a contribution to your “professional development”. A NOC C job may be accepted if you can submit a post-secondary diploma, certificate or degree with the work permit application. Your diploma, certificate or degree must be translated into English or French.

3. Internship in an international cooperative
Gain valuable work experience abroad related to your field of study.

This category is for you if:

you are a student registered at a post-secondary institution
you have a job offer for a job or internship in Canada
You have to do this job or internship to complete your studies.
you will work for the same employer in the same location during your stay in Canada
The type of work permit you get in the International Cooperation (Internship) category is an employer-specific work permit. The internship offered to you in Canada must be directly related to your field of study.

The salary must follow the labor laws of the province or territory where you will work. The labor code of the province or territory will determine whether the internship must be paid or not.

Labor and Employment Regulations apply to all foreign nationals in Canada. It is up to IEC applicants and their Canadian employer to consult the relevant provincial or territorial departments for their particular case regarding labor regulations.

How to become an IEC candidate

If you wish to travel and work temporarily in Canada as part of International Experience Canada (IEC), the first step is to become a candidate in one or more IEC groups.

You must become a candidate as soon as possible if you want to start working in Canada in the next 12 months.

This is a process where:

Find out if you are eligible by answering a few questions and, if so,
Create a free online IEC profile.
The answers provided will be used to determine if you are eligible for a group in one or more IEC categories:

International cooperative (internship)
Working holidays
Young professionals
There is a pool of suitable candidates by country and by category.

You can submit your profile to one or more of these groups. Cluster applicants must receive an invitation to apply for a work permit.

Tip: You may want to open this page in a different browser, tab, or window as you complete your profile. You can then refer to this information as needed.

Step 1: Answer a few questions

Use our questionnaire to see if you meet the criteria for joining the IEC groups. It will take about 10 minutes. It will ask you about your:

Country of Citizenship
country of permanent residence (where you live permanently)
country of residence (where you live now)
student status (if this applies to you)
job offer (if applicable to you)
Note: Your country of permanent residence is the country where you have a permanent address. For example, if you are a Mexican student in Canada, your country of permanent residence is Mexico.

To answer the questionnaire, you have two options:

Log into your account and select “International Experience in Canada”
Find out if you are eligible without logging in
If you’re not sure if you’re eligible or don’t have an account yet, find out if you’re eligible without logging in.

Step 2: Complete your IEC profile online
If you get a positive result, you can complete and submit your IEC profile online.

If you’ve verified your eligibility without logging in, follow these steps:

Copy or write the personal reference code we provide you at the end of the questionnaire (it looks like this: JM1234567890).
Create your account.
Enter your personal referral code when prompted.
If you have logged into your account to verify your eligibility, click “Continue”. You will not receive a personal referral code. You do not need it.

We will use your answers from the questionnaire to start your profile. To complete your profile, you will need your passport. You will also need to tell us about your:

identity (full names, date of birth, place of birth, etc.)
Contact information

Filling in online forms

Leave out the commas that separate your first or last name (if you have more than one first or last name). For example, use “Julie Louise Marie” if your name is “Julie, Louise, Marie”.
Use only English and French letters.
If your passport uses other letters or special characters, use the letter without an accent. For example, use “z” instead of “ź”.
Lowercase letters you can use
Capital letters you can use

If you wish to complete your profile later

You can log out of the profile at any time. Your information will be saved.

If you do not complete the IEC profile within 60 days, you will not be able to submit it and will have to start over.

Step 3: Submit your profile
When you complete your profile, we will tell you which groups are available to you. You can submit your profile to any of these available groups.

Before submitting your profile, make sure you understand which category is right for you.

Important: Submitting an IEC profile does not mean that you have applied for a work permit. An invitation to apply is required to initiate a work permit application.

If you are invited to apply, you will use your account to:

submit the application for a work permit
to pay taxes
check the status of your application
This is the only way to apply for an IEC work permit.

How to get an IEC invitation to apply
What is the IEC call for application?
If you are invited to apply, you will receive a message on your account. The message will list your category and your next steps.

You will have 10 days to decide whether to accept the invitation. The deadline will be on your invitation. From the day you accept the invitation, you will have 20 days to apply for a work permit online.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *